Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Pomp and Pop: The Art of Beach Ball Defense (One Sixty-Two: Day 62)

Writer’s note: One Sixty-Two is a season-long series of blog posts connecting baseball’s major-league players to life’s universal themes. Just as there are 162 games in a season, so there will be 162 posts in this series. Let’s play some ball.

Day Sixty-Two: Orlando Hudson, Minnesota Twins

I was the beach ball guy. Someone had to do it. So tonight, amid the pomp and circumstance, I took the dirty job.

Graduations have lots of time-honored traditions – wearing a gown and funny-looking cap in the scorching heat for 90 minutes, posing for photos with some of the closest friends you’ve ever had, hearing your family clap and cheer for you as you walk across the stage, switching your tassel from right to left as you accept your diploma, and tossing that cap high into the air when you’re officially pronounced a graduate.

Oh, and one other – there are those pesky beach balls. They’re hidden inside gowns, blown up quickly somewhere in the middle of a row, then tossed into the air and tapped by the fingers and palms of graduates. These are young adults hanging onto one last piece of childhood immaturity, which feels all the more precious as they brace for the inevitable coming of age that lies ahead. This is fun to watch for most of the people at graduation – unless, of course, you’re one of the teachers assigned to line duty.

As one such teacher this year, my job was to help the students find their spots in line for the procession, and then to keep an eye on them as they sat in their rows during the ceremony. I like to think that I’m still kind of quick on my feet, so I figured if there were any beach balls tossed my way, I’d be happy to help the administrators by catching them and discarding the balls.

So first there was one. And then another. And another. As I saw each ball go airborne, I tracked it, spotted an opening, and scooped it up. As my catch neared a half-dozen, it seemed that students and parents alike were cheering for the balls to be kept away from me. Each time, I found my way to the ball and made the catch.

I had worked with many of these seniors, and was so glad to see them receive their due. I didn’t want to think much about the beach balls. But afterward, when a parent approached me and called me the “Beach Ball Terminator,” I realized that on this night, at least, I had developed a reputation with those who didn’t know me. I was the “no fun” guy who played beach-ball defense.

Oh well; there are far worse things to be known for in this life. And hey, playing stellar defense has its rewards. Ask Orlando Hudson of the Minnesota Twins. Hudson, 32, is known for scooping up nearly every ground ball that comes his way. Over the course of his nine-year career, Hudson has won Gold Glove awards with three different teams. This year, as he plays for the Minnesota Twins for the first time, Hudson is trying to win the award for a fourth team. With just two errors on the year, Hudson may do just that.

In visiting stadiums, Hudson won’t be applauded for his glovework; he’ll be robbing the fans of a hit they wanted to see. But his teammates will appreciate it, and they’ll let him know how much they respect his web gems.

Today, as the graduation ceremony ended, a few teachers walked over to me with pats on the back and handshakes. “Teacher of the year,” one said. “Great job,” said another. They knew it wasn’t easy. Defense never is. But someone’s got to do it.

No comments: