Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bats, Balls, and 'Boring Stuff'

It’s been far too long since my last blog entry – the longest stretch I intend on taking between entries. I’ve been working my way through end-of-year teacher grading and a brutal allergy season, but it’s time to get back in the saddle.

A stack of essays and a high pollen count do not create a perfect spring day. But in between the schoolwork and the sneezing, there have been some golden spring moments spent playing softball with my girls. The oldest, Katie, is playing on a local girls softball team this year, while the youngest, Chelsea, is just figuring out how to hold a bat. It’s a lot of fun watching Katie at games and practices, as she is learning how to really play this game of bases, balls and bats. When a ground ball is hit to her, she tries to react and field the ball, then stand up tall and make her toss to first base. When she’s up at bat, she’s trying to keep her eye on the ball and make contact. Saturday, they switched from tee-ball to live pitching in the third inning, and Katie – who is a lefty – punched a grounder down the third-base line, Ichiro-style. She doesn’t know who Ichiro is, but I do, and I shouted out his name from the sidelines. No one acknowledged. They saw no connection between my 7-year-old and the masterful Mariners right fielder. But somewhere in that part of my brain where I used to envision myself as Graig Nettles up at bat against my neighbor (who was probably Nolan Ryan), I could see Katie wearing No. 51 and delighting the Seattle faithful.

When we’re home, and we go out and play in the backyard, the game is even more fun for Katie, as she can smack Wiffle ball pitches all over the yard and dance around the bases. I try to teach her the game’s rules a bit, and she’ll even hop inside to watch some of the Yankees game or the college softball tournaments to figure out what a walk is, or what it means to hit a foul ball. She still doesn’t realize that you can stop at first base or second and settle for singles and doubles. But, to be honest, it’s a lot more exciting to see the kid scamper around the bases.

Work can be a grind, no matter what your profession. And if allergies are all I’ve got to worry about health-wise, I’m a lucky man. It’s a joy to have these moments with the girls, hopping around the backyard in pursuit of a hot grounder. They bring so much happiness to a day. And yet, I find myself thinking some days that I haven’t done much with the girls – haven’t taken them on a day trip in awhile, or on a big vacation. It can be easy to forget how important those moments in the backyard are, for them and for me.

This past Sunday, Amy and I took the girls to see the Disney/Pixar film Up, yet another astoundingly beautiful film from the artists at Pixar. At one point during the movie, the character Russell (a young boy on an adventure with senior citizen Carl) is reflecting on the memories he savors most with his dad, who isn’t around as much as he’d like. Russell remembers sitting outside an ice cream shop, counting red and blue cars. “I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most,” he says.

As the summer of 2009 approaches, I can only hope that the girls and I find tons of boring stuff to do together. It’s what makes a life.

No comments: