Friday, July 3, 2009

The Coach & The Closer

One of my favorite interviews as a newspaper reporter was with Kay Yow, the legendary North Carolina State women’s basketball coach who died earlier this year after a long battle with breast cancer. When I walked into Yow’s office to interview her in 1994, I wondered nervously how she would deal with me, a 23-year-old reporter from a small-town paper. I needn’t worry: As soon as I walked into the room, Yow shook my hand, looked me in the eyes and told me how nice my tie looked. That was a young reporter’s introduction to class.

During my interview with Kay Yow, I asked her to explain just how much a national championship would mean to her. She told me that it would be an incredible accomplishment, one that she’d gladly spend the rest of her career striving to achieve. However, she said that the thing she’d like even more would be to win a title, and then, while standing on that mountaintop, realize quite clearly that this victory was not the most important thing in the world.

That was a young reporter’s introduction to perspective.

I’ve been reading a lot about Mariano Rivera this week – for good reason, as he became just the second player in major league baseball history to record 500 saves on Sunday night. There has never been a closer like Rivera, as his on-field accomplishments amaze even the most casual baseball observer. Respect for Rivera the player stretches far beyond his New York Yankees fan base.

But the thing I’ve always liked best about Mariano Rivera is the way in which his outlook toward sport mirrors that of Kay Yow. He has always wanted to win, in the worst way. But in every interview, in every speech he gives, Rivera exudes class and he exudes perspective. He seems to know that when he’s on the field, he should compose himself with dignity and treat his opponents fairly. He also seems to understand that when the game is over, there is so much more life to live – win or lose.

Mariano Rivera doesn’t seem to be slowing down, so I imagine he’ll continue to amaze us with his late-inning heroics for some time. But I’ll always be paying closer attention to the way he composes himself off the field. It’s not every day you get that kind of role model.

No comments: